Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oatmeal and How to Cook It

[This is from a post on Start With The Inside fan page on Facebook.]


Oatmeal is one of the healthiest foods you can eat, but it's sometimes confusing on which KIND to get and HOW to cook it. Basically, there are 3 types you can get:

#1 - Instant Oatmeal in packets
#2 - Quick Cooking oats in a container
#3 - Old Fashioned oats in a container

I have had all three and here's a quick breakdown on nutrition information:

#1 - Instant Oatmeal in packets
Serving size - 1 packet
Calories 160
Fat 2g
Carb 33g
Protein 4g
Sugar 13g
Sodium 230 mg

#2 - Quick Cooking oats in a container
Serving size - 1/2 cup
Calories 140
Fat 2.5g
Carb 26g
Protein 5g
Sugars 0g
Sodium 0mg

#3 - Old Fashioned oats in a container
Serving size - 1/2 cup
Calories 150
Fat 2.5g
Carb 27g
Protein 5g
Sugars 0g
Sodium 0mg

Calories is about the same for all three, but look at the sugar and sodium level in oatmeal packets. Not much difference between quick cooking oats and old fashioned oats, minor difference in calories and carbs. So how do you cook them? [all examples will be using the microwave]

#1 - Instant oatmeal in packets - empty packet into bowl, add 2/3 cup water, microwave for 1 minute.
#2 - Quick Cooking oats in a container - 1/2 cup of oats and 1 cup water, microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
#3 - Old Fashioned oats in a container - 1/2 cup of oats and 1 cup water, microwave for 2 minutes, stir once, then microwave again for 1 minute.

You can adjust these microwave times if you need to get the right consistency and actually, there is no "right" consistency, it's how you like it. Some people like it lumpy, some people like it smooth. If you prefer more smooth, then add more water.

To answer the next question that's coming...yes, I have had all three and which do I recommend? #3 every time. #1 has too much sugar and sodium and for me, one packet doesn't fill me up so if you have 2 packets, what do you do? You take everything X2 = 320 calories. #2 is okay, but I usually use them for cooking oatmeal muffins or oatmeal bread. I love #3. I sprinkle cinnamon on it before cooking. And I always make my oatmeal a "protein" oatmeal by adding a scoop of protein powder to 1/2 cup of water - whisk it until smooth [I do this while the oatmeal is cooking] and then add the water when it is done cooking. How often? I eat oatmeal every day! Again, it is one of the healthiest foods you can eat and it really starts my morning out right!

Let me know if you have other food questions! For more information on our fan page, visit: www.facebook.com/startwiththeinside - Become a fan today!

sandi@startwiththeinside.com

No comments:

Post a Comment