Monday, October 18, 2010

"Why are you always dissing candy and chocolate?"

I get asked this question again and again.

From my friends, from my family, from complete strangers who follow my Facebook fanpage. Followed by other assorted comments "I feel bad when I eat candy now" or "You're making me feel bad when I want chocolate" or "What are you? A chocolate nazi?" or the worst "You're trying to bring down my Halloween". Sigh. Bring down Halloween? Okay, well, let's get started then. Here's why I am "dissing" candy and chocolate:

Short story -- When I was overweight, I was addicted to candy and chocolate and it affected my body negatively. 

There, I said it. I am a candy-aholic. I am a chocolate-aholic.

Do you know what it's like to be overweight? To not be able to fit in clothes? To be embarrassed to be at the beach or pool in a swim suit? To feel emotionally in a long tunnel with no way out? To have rolls of fat in your back, in your belly and in your butt?

I do. 


I don't like it. 

I fixed it and I don't ever plan on going back. I like being fit and healthy. I like being able to fit in my clothes - ALL of the time. I like going to the beach or pool in my swim suit. I like being emotionally healthy. I like my strong back, my flat belly and well, you get the point...

Candy and chocolate were HUGE obstacles in my weight loss - for MANY years. And after training women for the past five years, I have noticed the same thing - that candy and chocolate are HUGE obstacles for not just me.
  • It has become an American habit. 
  • It has become an emotional addiction. 
  • It has become a part of the reason why we can't lose weight. 
When I "diss" candy or chocolate, I am just putting the information out there for you. Did I know how much sugar was in candy corn before I ate it? No. I just ate it. Did I think about it more after I found out how much sugar was in it? Yes. I don't eat candy corn now. I haven't for a couple of years now. And I'm okay. Yes, I still love it. Yes, I could still eat it by the handfuls. But, no, I choose not to now. I choose not to because I know what it will do to my body. I know the results of sugar-overload for me and it's not pretty. Not only the physical affects, but the emotional affects as well. It is an immediate depressor for me.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad when I post about candy or chocolate. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty or take away your Halloween. I'm trying to EDUCATE and HELP those that want it. I'm trying to make a dent in obesity in America. I'm trying to save your life like I saved mine. So, will you let me?

No comments:

Post a Comment