Friday, July 24, 2009

Liquid Diets

Do they work? Can't you lose so many pounds in so many days? That's what the ad says OR that's what happened to me when I was sick once.

I am forced into the world of liquid diets as I had oral surgery and cannot chew anything for 3 days. Oral surgery, ick, basically, they took out a tooth. A perfectly good one too. This is all in the "plans", I am in the 8th month of braces and all of a sudden, I have too many teeth to make a perfect smile, so they have to take one out. One in front. I recommended one in back, very back, but no, it's right in front. Ewww.

So, I start to think back, how long has it been since I was on a liquid diet? I've been fit and healthy for 8 years now, so it must have been before that. I used to go on them all the time. And the comments I get from people now are still the same that I got back then:

• "Hey, maybe you'll lose a few pounds from it. It won't be that bad!"
• "I do that anytime I want to lose weight for a special event"
• "It's complete torture, but the 5 lb weight loss was worth it"

However, this time, when I was planning my meals, I didn't think of it as torture or A WAY to lose weight. I thought of the great opportunities I would have to consume GREAT healthy food in a new way. I made a great sweet potato soup with sweet potatoes, onions, garlic and chicken broth. I tried new cottage cheese concoctions in my blender, using fresh fruits. I tried different spices in my protein shakes and combinations with fruits for different flavors. I kept my nutrition plan on base and I enjoyed my meals, I didn't feel like I was suffering - like I did before when on a liquid diet.

Here are some of the drawbacks to a liquid diet:
• If you are not getting enough variety of fruits and veggies, protein and carbs, you are starving your body, depriving it of what it really needs.
• Cranky, cranky, cranky - God forbid you go on a liquid diet around that time of month - yikes! The hubby and kids stay away...
• Weakness in your body. No energy. Not feeding your body properly so the body rebels.

And here, my favorite reason:
• YOU GIVE YOUR BODY FALSE HOPE THAT A LIQUID DIET WORKS. What am I talking about? I'm talking about going on a liquid diet to lose a few pounds. I'm talking about trying something that is harmful to your body in order to get a FAST result that is NOT permanent. I have a family member who shall remain nameless...and has been overweight since I have known her and every time she gets overwhelmed about it, she goes on a liquid diet. She loses a few lbs. and then proceeds to put it back on when she starts eating real food. But, IN HER MIND, she is telling herself "THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS" and that's why she keeps going back to it.

It's an emotional battle. And that's what I am all about. I don't want to be a typical trainer. I am not. Losing weight is more than working out and eating right. It is an EMOTIONAL journey. And I am happy to say, I am READY. Liquid diet for 3 days, no problem. My body is still strong and ready for battle. My mind is still strong and ready for battle. I know what works and it's my job to get it out there and I can tell you from personal experience, LIQUID DIETS DON'T WORK. Now find out what does.

No comments:

Post a Comment