Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Why Do We Always Want What We Can't Have?

Weight loss is hard. Really hard. I know this because I work with so many great women to help them on their journey. Every day, it's my job to EDUCATE them and MOTIVATE them. And I've been through it myself. Although I don't have to lose it anymore, I still have to maintain and live a healthy lifestyle and be an example to others around me. And still, 8 fit years later, I still have the desire [sometimes] and want something I can't have.

It's a constant battle.

It's been a week since my oral nightmare [that's what I call it now] and had my lower front tooth ripped out. Spent 3 days on a liquid diet. No problem. Just went back to eating some regular foods and then I went back today. Now they put a band, a rope actually, around the teeth surrounding my gaping space and tightened it to pull them together. Go back in two weeks to have it done again. No problem. I can do this. My ortho says "Liquid diet for 3 days" and I glare at him. I've already told him I don't like him. He says that will change. When?

So what do I want? Popcorn tops the list. A crunchy apple. Nuts. Carrots. Anything crunchy. Not necessarily bad food for ya, I just want to crunch something. And I can't.

When I was losing weight, I wanted chocolate. Really bad. It's still a battle, sometimes. It has gotten much better, with a lot of work though.

Why does your body crave something that you can't have - or that you shouldn't have? Does your body actually crave it...or is your mind playing tricks on you?

I just read a great book "The World is Fat" by Barry Popkin about the fads, trends, policies and products that are "fattening" the human race. It was very eye-opening, not only about the history of products and companies, but about the emotional aspect of obesity and how it affects people and the way they think. Your body will respond to the things you tell it. I know this.

I truly believe it is a matter of mind over body. Now if I could just get my body to listen to my mind. I'm determined to...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I agree that a part of it is a huge mental battle. My mind can convince myself I am hungry if the right food comes along. Such a pain but exercising self control is the key. I am determined too...

    ReplyDelete