Thursday, August 6, 2009

IronGirl Interview "Just Shut Up and Do It"

I hope many got to see the NBC presentation of the IronGirl race on Sunday. It was great to see all of the women athletes on the race! I did an interview with Conn Jackson for NBC last week and wanted to share the link with you:

http://www.atlantaandcompany.com/article.aspx?storyid=133269

What a motivating group of women!

The "just shup up and do it" part of this blog was for me. A week before the interview, I had my tooth pulled, the one in front :( and the day before the interview, I had orthodontist appointment where they began the process of pulling my teeth together. They used a rope-like device and twisted it in between my teeth. I got back from the ortho and IronGirl called and asked if I would do the interview. Ugh. Why couldn't they call last week when I had a tooth??!!

I was miserable. Back on the liquid diet again, ugh, took 2 days off with no clients just so I could get used to the "missing tooth" and not have to face anyone. It's embarrassing! I'm 42 and I have braces and now a big gap in my teeth. So I told them of course I would do it, then I cried and fussed about it. My husband told me to call ortho and see if they can do a temporary tooth for me. It must look bad if he says that. They needed more than a day, they say. Not an option. My sister told me don't worry, it'll just look like they're interviewing another hick from Georgia. It must look bad if she says that.

I had my cry and then I had to just shut up and do it. Doesn't matter if I don't feel I look 100%, I have an obligation to IronGirl, I want to support IronGirl, I want to educate and motivate women. It's not about my accomplishment, but how I can help others to do the same. It helped me realize that yes, I do want to do this again if they bring it back to Atlanta, and yes, I want to have a SWTI team there to do it with me. Women who never thought they could do something like that. So I just shut up and do it.

I love Nike's logo, I just added my version of it. The long version of it is "Just shut up and do it. Stop complaining. Stop whining. Just buck up, be strong and do it". This is the version I have to use on myself from time to time.

My grateful list...
• Thank God I have teeth and I am healthy. I may look bad for a while, but it will be worth it in the end.
• My friend Stacie, who listened to me cry and fuss, looked at my photo and video, reassured me, and talked some sense into me. She gave me the confidence to just shut up and do the interview.
• Conn Jackson, I call him "Ken doll" [he does, he looks just like a Ken doll!] and the wonderful, inspiring women in the interview.
• My friends and sisters who raced alongside me in the IronGirl. The NBC presentation showed the professionals, who were awesome; and a select number of equally awesome women they spotlighted. There were over 1,000 women who participated and they are all winners in my book!

Is there anyone else that has the insecurities that I do, well maybe not the tooth issues, but if so, I say with respect "just shut up and do it". Whatever you are avoiding or not doing, just do it. Today!

1 comment:

  1. Sandi - you are amazing at motivating women! You put it all out there and help inspire us with real-life issues! Thanks for sharing your heart and for keeping us on the right track!

    ReplyDelete