Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dance Like You Are 19 - My Date with Rick


Okay, so it wasn't just me and Rick Springfield, but me and 5,000 others and Rick Springfield at the Biltmore Estate in Ashville, North Carolina. Last weekend, my two sisters and I met for our weekend getaway in Ashville. My brilliant sister Laura got tickets for us. We are all 14 months apart and teenagers in the 80's sisters. Rick Springfield and the 80's, good combination. Rick Springfield and the 2000's, even better.

The concert at the Biltmore was right outside the estate, on a mountaintop, beautiful scenery, beautiful weather. The sun set as Loverboy was playing on stage. When Rick came out, my sister Diane and I had already gotten our 81 "Jessie's Girl" blue shirts out in support of our man, RS. My hubby had told me that the crowd would be filled with other 40-year old women, no men and no kids. Well, that was kind of true. It was about 70% 40-year old women, some men who were dragged along and also some kids who were dragged along. Unfortunately, some of the women were from the 80's which was scary at first, but amusing as the night went on. My sisters and I had front row tickets for the 80's freak fashion show. And I am happy to tell you that despite my horse-and-buggy ways and my LOVE of the 80's music and trends, that I do NOT wear boob tubes or short shorts or tease my hair. Ha, I've evolved past that! But unfortunately, some of these ... let's call them ladies, I'll be nice ... have not evolved. They were stuck in the 80's. Tattoos and all. And sleasy talk, agh, I was so glad my daughter wasn't there to hear their potty mouths. But I forgot about them when Rick came out.

The first thing I noticed was his biceps. Rick's been working out! And I'm not just saying that because I'm a trainer, but man, the boy's been working out. He was thin in the 80's, he was buff now! And then later on, he took his shirt off. Again, being the trainer I am, I wondered "I wonder what kind of split workout he is doing?" What a nice display of chest and abs :) Rick came to put on a show. And he put on a show. He was awesome! We knew every word to every song and sang along and screamed and laughed the entire concert. We stayed on our feet the entire time, singing and dancing. It was like I was 19 again, kind of. Do you remember when you were 19? I do, even though it's quite a ways back :)

I remember going to college full-time and working full-time to pay for it. I remember going to concerts on the weekends with friends. I remember staying up late, getting up early, reading the newspaper in bed on weekends at noon. I remember taking off on breaks and just partying and playing, camping, water skiing. I don't remember a lot of stress. I know there must have been some. I was out on my own, had my own apartment. But I don't remember being stressed a lot, I just remember the fun. Fast forward 25 years. This weekend is actually my 25th high school reunion party, which is in Illinois, I can't go :( So, 25 years later, here I am, with my sisters, on top of a mountain watching Rick Springfield in concert. And feeling like I am 19.

Now granted, I didn't let it loose like some of the ... okay let's just call it like it is ... ho's there did that night. I won't even tell you what one of those ... did and said during the "Human Touch" song. Ewww. I may be old fashioned, but please... but I did have fun. I felt free, and happy, and innocent, and untouched. So what happened in 25 years that made me stop dancing? Ummm...marriage, pregnancies, babies, starting a business, running a business, owning a home, running a home, closing a business, school, PTA, etc. I've had a good life, I've had a great life, but somewhere along the way, I lost my ability to dance like I was 19. Don't get me wrong, I have fun. I love my husband. I love my kids. I love my life. But I don't DANCE. I don't dance like I'm 19. I've become too serious. I plan things. I organize things. I worry about things. I stress over things. I've invested so much time and effort into the people and things in my life that I've forgotten to ENJOY it along the way and not worry about what's going to happen. I've made so much progress over the last few years, in my personal and professional life, and now I want to keep it up, but I want to DANCE too. Like I'm 19.

I still feel like I am 19 physically. That's weird. I didn't years ago when I was in my 30's and overweight. I do now. I feel strong, like I can do anything. I have so much energy and life now, physically, I just have to get it through my mind now. So if you see me dancing, and I don't mean literally dancing because this white girl doesn't have a whole lot of rhythm, but smiling and enjoying life, know that I am still listening to my Rick Springfield CD's, I am still taking my responsibilities seriously, but that I am taking time to DANCE and be 19 again! Want to join me?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sandi! I feel like I was right there with you, and also NOT wearing a tube top!
    Cristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool write up about the night at Biltmore. :-) I was there that night with my daughter and husband and it was a GREAT show!!

    I have to comment and say that I can totally relate to the dancing like you're a teenager again. Rick has that affect, even now. ;-)Like you said, I love my life & family too. But I am still obsessed with Rick Springfield. :) (and yes! He does manage to stay in excellent shape for being almost 60!)

    No tube top for me either. LOL I was wearing a Rick shirt with the SDAA faces on it. ;-P

    Kelley68

    ReplyDelete