Thursday, September 24, 2009

It's Not a Pill or Drink That's Going to Do It!

I got my daily call today. Another new product came out and the company wants my opinion. Maybe if it's good, I can recommend to my clients. And this one is natural, so it must be good.

STOP! Stop right there!

It's a pill. It's a drink. It's a potion, a magic potion that's going to take away any unwanted fat, stress and flabby muscles. It's a miracle! NOT!

Sometimes I am nice to the caller, sometimes I am not too nice. Sometimes I listen, sometimes I don't and hang up. And then there are the times where I turn the tables and preach to the poor salesperson about how I don't believe in pills and potions and that it start with the inside - it is the emotional self-discovery that is going to make a change, not a pill or drink. Of course, I go into much more detail then and lose them about 1/2 way through. And then they don't call me anymore :)

The American society is so focused on PILLS! You don't feel good, you take a pill. You don't look good, you take a pill. You can't sleep, you take a pill. You want to improve your health, you take a pill. Pills, pills, pills. And drinks. Energy drinks, new water, flavored water, healthy water. All to make you feel better, to help you lose the weight and change your life. Huh?

But does it?

I can think of two instances in my life where I realized the importance of not taking pills.

1 - More than 8 years ago during my obese, struggling to lose weight, desparate stages, I went to a reputable vitamin store and bought a "Fat Burning" pill. Guaranteed to help me lose the weight. I went home and tried it. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't function. I was high as a kite. But this is what I needed to lose the weight, right? So I took it back to the reputable vitamin store and the nice lady behind the counter told me after I told her I was having heart palpitations "Maybe you should just take 1/2 a pill". Huh? Oh duh, yeah, that will work. I got my refund and didn't go back.

2 - During my contest in 2001, I was working with a Coach who recommended I try a "Fat Burning" pill, a good one, just to help my efforts. At this point, I was already on the way to good health by changing my workout and nutrition habits, but I was in a contest and wanted the best results. Same thing happened to my body, couldn't sleep, high as a kite. "Don't take it" he said, just get rid of it. Some people can take it, some cannot. You are one of those people that can't take it. Don't worry about it. I still had good results in the contest.

If I could give you one newsflash that will change your life, it's this: "It's not a pill or drink that going to do it for you - It's YOU!"

You have to change your workout routine.
You have to eat right.
You have to be responsible for your choices.
You can change your body.

And you can do it without a pill or drink.

If these products worked so well, then why isn't everyone fit and healthy? They don't work, that's why.

Now, are there cases where a pill is necessary? Absolutely. There are times when your hormones are off, or you are not feeling well from infection and you need to take a pill to get better. But the fat burning, stress reducing miracle pill is not it.

It's YOU! Stop giving the pills a chance and start giving YOU a chance. I know you can do it and I'm here to help if you need me.

1 comment: