Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Just Breathe...

Do you ever notice yourself holding your breath? I do all the time, on myself sometimes, but mostly with clients as I am teaching them a new exercise. Babies do it, kids do it, adults do it. We all hold our breath at times. Sometimes when you are scared, or nervous, or stressed is a big one. Through the years, I have learned how to breathe properly, in exercise and in daily life, and it is so important to your health and well-being. Learn how to just breathe...

I saw this on TV last night as I watched my first episode of 'Dancing With The Stars'. I know, I got sucked in, finally. I have never seen one episode of this show, but, and my 80's, I mean 70's friends will understand, I watched to see Donny. Nuff said. Anyway, there were a few couples that talked about breathing and how important it was and then when they danced, it was obvious the ones that were holding their breath or having problems breathing. They were stiff as boards and so nervous. I remember being like this. My husband would look at me and ask me why my shoulders were around my ears. Stress!

Breathing is so very important to your body, not only to keep your lungs strong, but to really help your body function in a healthy way. If you really notice your breathing during the day, and this is hard to do because we all take it for granted, you may find that you hold your breath sometimes too. So start breathing. Deep breathing. When you say deep breathing to most people, they blow out through their noses. Try this...

Get in a comfortable position, seated or standing. Relax your arms and shoulders and neck.

For a count of 6, breathe in through your nose. Slowly.

For a count of 6, hold your breath.

For a count of 12, blow out of your mouth, keep blowing for the full 12 seconds if you can.

Repeat several times.

See the difference between just blowing out your nose? Deep breathing, using your abdominals, really using your lungs, really relaxing your body. Do this when you are stressed, or tired but can't sleep. Or nervous about something. It's something small that we can all do to improve our health and those around us. Just breathe...

No comments:

Post a Comment