Thursday, October 1, 2009

Candy Wars

"I want Candy" sings the song you hear in elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, even workplaces. So to celebrate October 1st, let's talk about candy.

The Candy Wars start in October as we prepare for that blessed holiday "Halloween" which for kids is focused on dressing up and getting tons of candy and for the adults who are focused on watching their kids dress up and getting tons of candy. Who's giving the candy - adults? Who's eating their kids' candy - adults? Who's eating the extra candy that they buy not to hand out to the kids - adults? [I know you're out there]

So what's so bad about a little candy?

Well, where do we start? How about sugar, fat, sugar, fat, destroys your metabolism, affects your hormones in a negative way [hello ladies?]. But it's so good, right?

What's so good about it?

Taste? Yes, it does taste good. And then you berate yourself for hours after because YOU KNOW it's not good for you.

Low-calorie? Sure, you can get the mini-bars, they have much less calories and fat [see my blog entitled "It's still an oreo"]. I used to buy them in bags starting in October, because they were on sale and they were "low calorie". But did you know if you eat 4-5 of these low calorie mini candy bars, ah, low and behold, you're eating a candy bar!

It's a pick me up, it gives me energy to get through the day! Really? But what about the crash you get a couple of hours afterwards and then the overwhelming desire to have just one more to pick you up again. Some people, like me, never quite experienced the crash fully because they just keep on snacking, keep on shoveling it in, decreasing hormone after decreasing hormone.

It's easy. Yes, it is. They give it away. At schools. Here, bring in something good, here's a piece of candy. Do a special project, here's some candy. Oh, it's your birthday, here's some candy. It's everywhere, it's accessible and yes, it's cheap.

Cheap in monetary cost, but what is it doing to your health?

As a former candy and chocoholic, I am rebelling. I am putting on my armor once again and I am fighting the war. The Candy War.

I am refusing to back down. I am refusing to be seduced by "just one piece isn't going to kill you".

Each Halloween, since 2001, I have sat down with my kids and made a pact. [You can read more about this in my October newsletter "The Masks We Wear"]

A candy pact. We set the rules on what is thrown away, limits, and most importantly, I make a pact with them. I will not eat their candy. I promise. Not one piece. I will not buy any candy. I promise. Not one piece. We take the candy out of the equation and guess what, they're not interested in it anymore.

And since 2001, what has this brought me?

• A healthy and fit body.
• A metabolism that works great.
• A healthy hormone balanced body and mind.
• Healthy skin and hair.
• A peace that I am in control, not the candy.

Can you do it? Can you fight against the Candy? No question about it, you can. Question is...will you? Will you stand up for your body and mind and say NO MORE! No more poison in my body, no more sluggish feeling, no more cellulite on my thighs and tires around my belly, no more depression and weepy off-hormones.

Will you?

1 comment: