Monday, October 12, 2009

I'll Get In Shape When _______ [fill in the blank]

You have great intentions. You start a workout routine. You start a new diet. Everything's going great, on day one. Maybe even day two. Then day three, something happens. Or maybe day four. Your attention is drawn away, the crisis is here. Oh no, I can't focus on being healthy now, because this _____ [fill in the blank] happened! I'll do it when this _____ [fill in the blank] is over.

Days pass, still unhealthy. Weeks pass, still unhealthy. Maybe even months pass, still living unhealthy. Then you start again. Day one is great, this time you make a whole week. Then something happens, _____ [fill in the blank].

Do you know how often this happens?

Do you know how frustrating and heartbreaking it is?

Some people stay in this cycle for years, some for many years. Some don't come out of it. They continue to "put off" getting in shape or getting healthy because of the "stuff" that happens to them. TO THEM. Can I just throw something out there for you to chew on? It's not all happening TO YOU. It's called life. And it just happens.

I can absolutely guarantee that WHEN you start a new program, whether it be a new workout or a new nutrition program, something bad will happen in your life. Someone will die. Someone will get hurt. Someone you know will go through something tragic. Something will happen that will throw you off-guard. You might lose a job. You might start a new job. You might move. Your schedule might change. Guaranteed. Something is going to happen when you start trying to live healthy.

So...if you already KNOW something is going to happen, and you already KNOW it's inevitable, then why not LIVE HEALTHY ANYWAY???

Why does everything have to stop for stressful situations, if your life is continually one stressful situation after another? When you get through the stressful situation, aren't you even more miserable with your body because you've allowed harmful habits to drown out your misery, ex: caffeine, sugar, alcohol? Sure these might soothe the pain temporarily, but does it help the shape of your body? Or do you feel like you are continually starting over, in worse shape than before?

Here's my prescription as a Fitness Professional and as one who has gone through it personally:

YOU DO IT ANYWAY.
You start a program, you stay on it. You keep working out. You keep eating clean. You do it when you are stressed. You do it when everything's going good. You do it when everything's not going good. You just DO IT.

Years ago, while I was in the midst of my weight-loss, I got a phone call from my sister that my Dad was in the hospital. No one wants to get that call. Unfortunately, my car was in the shop and my husband was gone, about one hour away. I could not get to the hospital quickly, so she offered to come and pick me up and take me. So I had about 45 minutes to wait anxiously, not knowing how he was, what was wrong, getting more frantic by the minute. This was my daddy. So I fret and cried and called people for about 30 minutes, then I started thinking. I got out my cooler and started packing it up. I packed it with protein drink, protein bar, grapes, water, tuna, healthy snacks. I knew that whatever happened, I most likely would be spending some time at the hospital, and I was right. We were there for HOURS, all day long. But I had brought my cooler with me. I ate healthy snacks on breaks. I ate healthy meals in the cafeteria with my sister, who could not believe I had thought ahead and brought a cooler. I couldn't believe it either, but I was so determined not to fail this time, that even in the midst of extreme stress and uncertainty, I was prepared. In the end, my dad was okay and so was I. But instead of coming home, drained and uncomfortable from bad hospital food or a day of not eating at all, I was stressed, but still eating healthy and not running to the chips, sugar or alcohol to alleviate the pain.

This is just an example, there were many more, during that time. And during that time, habits formed, and now healthy eating and healthy living is just a part of life now. Yes, bad things still happen. People still die. People still hurt. People still go through tragic things, and yes, I know these people and I live with these people, but THIS IS LIFE. This is what life is all about. People living, people dying. I hate to be a downer here, but everyone you know is going to die. Some day. Why not live each day in a healthy way so you can enjoy every day that you have?

_____ [fill in the blank] is going to happen. It's just going to happen. So, can you be strong enough to just let it happen and live a healthy life anyway? I know you can.

2 comments: