Friday, September 11, 2009

Oops I did it again...

Is the weight loss battle neverending? Why can't I control my cravings? My sister asks me this as we dine on lunch the other day and like a little girl in a Catholic confessional, I start to confess. Ugh. Will it ever end?

Over the years, I have been proud of my accomplishments and proud of my ability to keep the weight off and stay fit and healthy. I have been the same size since 2001, good, huh? I need to focus on the good, and not the bad.

The good is I ran a 10K race on Monday and did really good. I have run this particular 10K for the past two years - the Labor Day Classic, going from Cumberland Mall to Whitewater. It is supposed to be one of the country's hardest because of the hills. Here's my time for the past ones...

2007 - 1:07:17 [yes, I know, I told you I am a slow runner]
2008 - 1:05:58 [I was so proud of improving my time last year]
2009 - 1:01:00

Now talk about proud. I can do a 10K under an hour, just not this one yet. But improved my time by almost 5 minutes! Awesome! I was extremely happy and went for my celebratory dinner - bison burger at Ted's and ice cream at Cold Stone's. The ice cream is a treat, I usually limit ice cream to once a month if any because of my previous addiction to ice cream and chocolate and esp. chocolate ice cream. So all is well, until the hubby brings home more ice cream. More chocolate ice cream. The first night I had a little bit. The next night I didn't have any. The next day I happened to open the freezer and it was still there and I couldn't resist, I had some. Hours later, in the peace of my home, no kids or hubby around, I ate the rest of the container. Just like I used to 8 years ago. UGH! Is this weight loss battle neverending? Why can't I control my cravings?

It was overwhelming. The feelings of guilt and self-punishment. Here I am, making a PR on this race, feeling really good about upcoming triathlon in October, everything's going good, and here I am, eating bowls full of chocolate ice cream. ??? So as my sister is asking me these questions, I tell her what I tell my clients and then I start to listen to what I am saying:

Get over it. You made a mistake. It's done. Can't go back. Go forward from this time on and do good. Don't over-analyze but see why it happened and avoid those situations again. Don't overexercise to compensate. Drink plenty of water and just continue on your healthy plan.

Sigh....breathe deep...okay, I'm just going to get over it. I made a mistake. I'm going to continue on.

Anyone out there ever do this? I know this happens to my clients because I sit with them when they confess to me. I hate it. I should know better. I do know better. All I can do is go forward from this time on and do good. So onward I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment