Monday, July 19, 2010

Coffee, Tea or Me?

When you are trying to lose weight or improve your health, sometimes you have to make decisions about the things that you are putting into your body. This is a question I get quite often and is something that I discuss with my clients when helping them with a nutrition plan. So which is better?

  • Coffee? 
  • Tea? 
  • Or me? [fitness trainer]

Ooohh, pick me, pick me. Just kidding. I'll save that for later.

Coffee

Coffee has been around a long time, since the thirteenth century. Coffee beans were first roasted and brewed in Arabia and have a long history as being a strong beverage. Strong usually meaning has caffeine.

I love the smell of coffee, I always have. But I have to admit, I have NEVER had a cup of coffee. I know, crazy! But seriously, I've never had a cup of the stuff. I grew up with it in the house, my dad had it every day. I love the smell of brewing coffee, I just can't drink it. It's too strong for me. But I've been around coffee drinkers, two of my sisters swear by it and have had it for years.

Coffee, when made from beans, and WITHOUT anything added, this being a key point, is a healthy drink. It does have caffeine, which does have a different affect on each person. When I come across coffee on a food log of a client, there are a couple of things I look for - is there anything added to it and how often is it consumed? Very important because the biggest downfall is what is ADDED to coffee to make it unhealthy - sugar, sugar substitutes, cream, etc. As well as quantity consumed. If you need more than 2 cups a day, it could be a problem. If you need a cup to get you going in the morning, it could be a problem. A small mocha frappe is 450 calories and contains 56 grams of sugar. [32 grams recommended per day]

Tea

Tea has been around even longer than coffee. Fresh tea made from leaves is healthy for you. In fact, almost all teas contain high levels of antioxidants which are good for your body. Tea is sometimes an alternative to coffee or an alternative to water, which some people get tired of drinking. There are so many varieties of tea as well - green, black, white, etc. I have learned a lot more about tea from my friend Jessica, who owns Aristeacrats in Lawrenceville, and am happy to say I can now brew my own tea at home.

Do I drink tea? Yes. Almost every day. I prefer the "softer" taste than coffee. I prefer not having the caffeine. But again, like coffee, when I see it on a client's food log, again, I have to ask - is there anything added to it and how often is it consumed. We have this thing in the South called "Sweet Tea". Yeah, sweet tea. You've had that once or twice, right? A typical glass of sweet tea is 230 calories and contains 59 grams of sugar. That's right, 59 grams. [32 grams recommended per day].

So, at this point, which is healthier for you? Coffee or tea? But wait, what about me, your fitness trainer? Where do I fit into the equation? See, I told you, pick me...

                                   Coffee                   Tea                     Fitness 
                                                                                           Trainer

Contains caffeine            Yes                     Maybe                  No
Increases metabolism      Yes*                    Yes*                    Yes*
Burns fat                        Yes*                    Yes*                    Yes*

* No sugar or sweetener added

Coffee and tea can be healthy beverages for you - AS LONG as you limit consumption - AND you don't add unnecessary sweeteners. Sugar and sugar alternatives are harmful to your body in excess and can hugely affect your body's ability to increase your metabolism and burn fat. As your fitness trainer, I'll work to find the right combination of strength training, cardio and nutrition plan to increase your metabolism and burn fat. And it will probably cost you less than your current beverage costs.

So, what's it gonna be today? Coffee, tea or me?

No comments:

Post a Comment