Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Using dates and time frames to lose weight

I am a date person. I realize this as I carry around my 2010 At-A-Glance calendar with me everywhere I go. All my appointments and upcoming dates are written down. I know, I should put it in my fancy phone or I-phone and all that techno stuff. I don't. I carry my book. Dates are very important to me. It keeps me organized. It keeps me balanced. I know each day and week what is coming up. It motivates me. And if I write something down in my book, it's a given. I don't cancel appointments or dates unless I truly have an emergency. So if it's written, I do it, even if I don't feel like it at the time.

Dates keep me focused, esp. when used with goals. I love to use dates and time frames to make those goals. So, can you use them to lose weight? 

Absolutely!

When I am writing a plan for a client, I use dates and time frames to help them make their goals - by realistically planning and by putting it in writing. This is usually only helpful if that person is a date person as well, meaning if they write something down, they will follow through on it. On occasion, I'll have a non-date person who cancels appointments routinely and is not motivated by the calendar or time frames. There are other ways to motivate these people, including:
  • Money
  • Contest
  • Fitting into a certain clothing or size
  • Health issues

Fortunately, it is my job to find what will motivate each person.

So, if you are a date person, how can you use dates and time frames to lose weight?

When writing down goals and planning using dates, it's important to look at the big picture first. Is there an important event in the near future - a birthday, an anniversary, a wedding or reunion? Something that will motivate you to want to be in shape for this event. Then, break it down further and look at time frames. For example, if your birthday is in three months and you have a 20-year school reunion in six months - instead of saying you want to lose 50 lbs. by the reunion, break it down and set a goal for your birthday. Then at that time, re-evaluate, take a short break and then set new goals for the reunion. That way, it is not so overwhelming and it seems easier to break it down into smaller time periods so you don't feel like you are just doing a "healthy lifestyle" for a certain event, then you'll go back to being unhealthy.

I like to use 10-12 weeks at a time for a good weight loss program. A good weight loss program meaning - a good strength training program, an effective cardio program and proper nutrition. 10-12 weeks is 2-1/2 or 3 months. Can you do a program for that long? Yes. You can focus and make your goals, as long as they are reasonable, during that time. Then, if you are not at your final goal, you can make another goal.

When you have a certain date in mind, or written down, it helps motivate you. It keeps you on-track. It's temporary. Especially if getting into a good weight loss program is hard for you to stay on. There's an end in sight. The hope is that once you start seeing results and making changes, it will be easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Having a date for weight loss can keep you committed, can keep you organized and balanced. So, what's your date?

No comments:

Post a Comment