Sunday, November 21, 2010

Handling the pressure - Journal or Punching Bag?

Stress. Holidays. Family. Bills. 

Hey, the holidays are here. Your heart starts being faster. Your to-do list starts getting longer. Your patience grows weary. Your body starts getting sick. You might lose your focus. Heavy holiday meals take their toll on your body. Missed workouts become common as you adjust to your over-booked schedule. Is it any wonder that we become "stressed out" this time of year? Is it inevitable - or is there something you can do about it?

How do you handle the pressure? 

One of the first things I give my clients is a journal. A Health Journal. This is not a "Dear Diary" journal, nor a workout journal, nor a nutrition journal. It's a health journal - to record what you feel and say about your body and your health. It's a place to record your frustrations - and your successes. It's a place to record your questions and fears. It's a place to go inside and see what the real reasons are for what is holding you back.

Back in 2001, when I entered a 12-week weight loss contest through David Greenwalt's Leanness Lifestyle [the best coach ever], we were required to submit journal entries every 4 weeks as part of the contest. I recently uncovered these and read through them and I was astonished at what I read. Here are some excerpts that show my progress through the 12 weeks:

  • Week 1 - "I want to find the missing person I used to be. She is hiding behind 20+ of unhealthy, unwanted fat. She is hiding behind unrealized goals and dreams. I need a support group to push me. I need a challenge to break my old ways and feel alive again. I don't want to be stuck in this same place - in the same unhealthy weight for one week longer". 
  • Week 4 - "I learned how many extra "little" calories I was adding to my meals and snacks that were healthy foods, but put my caloric intake over the top. My ultimate goal was to watch the pounds, but I have seen other results. I am starting to envision other goals becoming reality as to my role in this life and how I can help others". 
  • Week 8 - "Three important aspects key to my on-going success were motivation, focus and attitude. My attitude turnaround came week after week of seeing my goals being met. I feel empowered. Emotional changes include confidence and a feeling of accomplishment."
  • Week 12 - "I found the missing person I was looking for! I feel alive! I love life! I made these seemingly unattainable goals 12 weeks ago and now today I look back and it seems like a dream. I was consistent. I was driven. I accomplished my goals!"
My journal entries were key to my success. They pointed out, in writing, my fears and uncertainties. But writing them down did something for me. It allowed me an outlet, a safe outlet, where no one would judge me, where I could finally be honest with myself, and where I could finally start overcoming my issues.

Get a health journal! Use your health journal! Start writing down your frustrations with your body and life. Don't keep it all inside! 

Part two of this blog is a Punching Bag. I learned the importance of a punching bag when I starting taking karate classes with my kids 7 years ago. They would have us do "sessions" of kicks and punches on the bags and I found out - "Hey, this is not just for exercise". This is emotional! This is fun! This is a way to get out aggressions in a safe way - oh, just like a journal. But this gets it OUT of your body.

Now, I have Eugene at home. Eugene is my punching bag. And when times get rough or I get stressed, I put on my gloves, put on my resolve and go to town on Eugene. Left hook, right hook, kicks, punches, whatever it takes to quell me. It usually doesn't take long, just a few minutes. Then I breathe, and move on. And give Eugene a break.
  • Do you have a journal? 
  • Do you have a punching bag? 

How about getting one? How about using one this holiday season? Handle the stress of the season by getting your emotions OUT and getting HEALTHY - inside and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment