Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Excuse #2 - I Don't Have Enough Time... [Part 1]

"I don't have enough time to work out" 
"I don't have enough time to plan my meals" 
"I barely have time to grab a fast food meal before I'm going to the next thing"
"I don't have enough time..."

Yes, the topic of this excuse is "time". Sit down and buckle up, here we go.

First of all, I am not here to be your friend. I am here to save your life.
I am not here to be your buddy, I am here to help you regain your health and live healthy.
Not that I don't enjoy friends and buddies, I do. When I write about excuses, it is really hard because people take it personally. I write it to help you. I am not out to single you out or criticize you, I am here to help you. Anything that I write about I have gone through myself. I have used all of these excuses too.

So...what's up with the lack of time?

People are busy today. Crazy busy. People are busy with their jobs. People are busy with their families. People are busy with their schools. People are busy with sports. Let's talk about my favorite people and my typical client - moms!

Moms are hard-working people. Moms today are balancing so many time-consuming things - they are carpooling, they are taking kids to sports games, they are being involved in their schools, they are shopping, cooking, cleaning - and oh yes, they have jobs on top of all this. Moms are busy. Moms are busy with no time. So, do they get a pass when I hear the excuse "I don't have enough time to ..."? Uh no, sorry moms!

When someone says "I don't have enough time", it means one of two things:
-You didn't or won't make time
-Your priority is not to make time

If you thought about it, could you write down hour by hour everything that you do each day? And if you did that, could you find some time in there to play with? Maybe?

When your priority is health, you find time. 
When your priority is fitness, you find time. 
When your priority is living a healthy life - so you can take care of others - you find time. 

Time is everywhere.
Time is here.
Time is now.

And time has become a convenient excuse for some who are overweight and don't know what to do about it. Yes, you are a busy person. Congratulations. Now, let's lose some weight. Let's get your life back.

There are many misconceptions about time when it comes to working out and living healthy. Some people have an idea in their mind about HOW much time they need to spend - working out, eating healthy, etc. They think they need to spend one or two hours in the gym for any results. They think they need to spend hours preparing food. Then they look at their life - hour by hour - and they say "I don't have enough time for that". And there's the excuse. Another unhealthy dinner choice, another unhealthy day, another Scarlett O'Hara "I'll think about it tomorrow" day and there ya go. Sound familiar?

So, where do you find this time thing? 

First, you look at your priorities.

Yes, you need to work. Yes, you need to take care of your family. But look at your life and see where you can find time. Could you find 20-30 minutes each day to work out? Could it be in the morning before everyone else gets up? Could it be on your lunch hour? Could it be in the evening while watching TV?

I will continue this post in the next few days, because...I've run out of time. Literally. I know, it figures. See, I told you I only write about those things that happen to me. I have to go to work and help change the lives of my clients - because that's what I LOVE to do. But until then, think about TIME. Think about the time you have and think about the time you need. In Part 2, we will talk about ways to get more time, how to use time more efficiently, and how to stop wasting time.

One more thing before I go...in my last post, I talked about saying "I'm so tired" to yourself 20 times a day and how your body is listening -- same thing with TIME. If you continually tell yourself [and everyone around you] "I don't have enough time" or "I don't have time", then your body is listening AND you won't have time. Again, your body is listening to what your mind is telling it. If you say "I am going to make time to be healthy" or "I will find time to change my body", then your body will listen. Think about what you say to yourself [or others] each day. Start taking those thoughts or sayings - claim them - and then CHANGE them.

It all starts with the inside, baby. Now get to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment