Wednesday, May 19, 2010

So what's the deal with P90X?

I must get asked this question 10-20 times a week. By clients, by people I meet on the street. Everyone wants to know the same thing - does it work? 

P90X

First of all, P90X was developed in 2004 by Tony Horton, a follow-up program to Power 90, a program he had developed in 2001. 

"Power 90 combines quick, intense cardiovascular exercises with moderate-level strength and weight training. P90X (for “Power 90 Extreme”), which promises a “ripped” physique to those who follow his rigorous workouts and diet plan for 90 days. P90X features a number of different bodyweight and resistance training exercises, and cardio formats including plyometrics and the martial art of kenpo. The varied workout schedule is based on the concept of “muscle confusion,” a form of cross-training, which holds that the body will continuously improve when faced with unfamiliar movements."

So, does it work?

I have the P90X system. No, I didn't buy it. Actually, I did buy it. But not for me. It was a present for someone who used it a couple of times and then let it sit in the box, no names will be mentioned.

I love P90X. I love Tony Horton. I think he is a great trainer.

Do I use it?

No.

Why not?

Since I started working out in 2001 and made my big transformation, I have tried many workout programs. I have gone through many 12-week workout programs designed to help me be a better runner, weight programs to help tone up, cardio programs, you name it, I've tried it. I have a weakness I'll admit - I love to get and read fitness magazines [the good ones] and try their workouts. I am always trying something new. Or if I see something on the Biggest Loser during one of their challenges, I'll try it at home. I love to continually challenge my body.

So, yes, I have tried the P90X program. I liked it, for a little while. Maybe a week or so. I got bored. I love the exercises. I loved Tony the first couple of days and then after that, the "P90X" whispered while using arm motions to form an "X" kind of got on my nerves a little bit. Actually, I think I stayed with it for 4 weeks at one point. Then I went onto something else. But that's me. I train for triathlons so the majority of my training is spent on the things I do on race day - swimming, biking and running. There is not a lot of cardio in P90X. I have found that it works better for MEN than WOMEN. If a female client wants to do it, she usually has to add more cardio in addition to the workouts. Not to say it is easier for the guys.

There are a few things about P90X:
-The before and after shots are awesome. I love seeing the reduction of bodyfat %. However, if you read the FINE print, you will see that these results are not typical AND only if you follow the P90X program to a T for 12 weeks, ALONG with the P90X nutrition program.
-The nutrition program is very strict. I wish I had it here in front of me, but the Type A male that I gave it to lost it somewhere. However, from what I remember, it is very stringent and might be hard for a beginner or moderate exerciser to follow.
-You have to stick with the program. You cannot just do it for two weeks and expect results. In fact, here is a breakdown of a typical 12-week program - NOT just P90X - any 12-week life-changing program:

Week 1 - Exercise is great, nutrition is great, excited about making a change
Week 2 - Ouch - exercise makes you hurt, it's hard to eat right, reality is setting in
Week 3 - Oops - missed a couple of workouts, had a couple of nights out, starting to get frustrated
Week 4 - Why am I working my ass off for this little result? I am working out, I deserve a break to eat this. Still not seeing results

This is a critical point. We are only in Week 4 of a 12-week program. WHEN will you see the results of your hard week? Hang on, I'll tell you...


Most likely, not until Week 8 or Week 9. Please write this down.

Yes, that's what I said. So, what does that mean?

It means you have to put your head down, shut up and get to work. You have to do the workouts every day, you have to eat right, you have to be focused. AND you have to do this for 12 weeks straight. So, can you do it?

Uh, yeah.

Will do you it?

Uh, not so sure. 80% of people won't. They might make it to Week 5 or 6, but somewhere along the way, something happens - someone they know dies, someone they know loses their job, stress with a child, stress with a relationship, family concerns - something happens and they lose their focus. Who am I talking about? All of us. It's called life. And it's NOT going to stop just so you can get your 12-week program in. I love when someone tells me "I'll start as soon as ..... " because I know most likely, they will not start because pretty soon, something else will come up.

The P90X program is a great workout program. It can help you lose weight and tone up. But you have to use it properly to see the best results. Just like ANY workout and nutrition program. If you do it half-assed, your results will be half-assed. The real key is making it past that 8-9 week mark and I would challenge you to set that goal first of all - regardless of the program that you use - to be emotionally strong and get past that 8-9 week mark, and then, you'll see some results that you are expecting.

I am here to help you. sandi@startwiththeinside.com

2 comments:

  1. My nephew swears by P90X. He's a ripped former Army Ranger. Went through the entire 12-week program: he's VERY focused. Then he had a kidney transplant. I saw him a couple of months later and asked him about his workout. He said he planned to start over -- in the middle of trying to get a job, move, sell a house and keep the home fires burning while his wife is deployed to Iraq. Haven't gotten back in touch to see if he did it again, but if anyone can, it's my nephew. A man. Like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, good for him! Works if you are very disciplined and it sounds like he is. Good luck to him and thank his wife for serving our country!

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete