Thursday, August 12, 2010

Epsom salt bath - a natural healer

An old-fashioned remedy that still applies today - epsom salt bath! 

I absolutely love epsom salts! I call it my natural healer! It truly is. I started using it on the advice of my massage therapist when I was injured. Helps with sore muscles, but I found out that it helps out in many other ways.

Epsom salt is basically magnesium sulfate. You fill a tub with warm water and add 1-2 cups of epsom salt. You can buy it at grocery store or any drug store. Very inexpensive. You will see other items out there that have epsom salt in it, along with perfumed oils and such and if you like that, try it. But I like good, old-fashioned epsom salts, in the plain, inexpensive bag, and it works just as well.

When magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, such as in a bath, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, is a natural emollient, exfoliator, and much more. It is not only helping your sore muscles, but it is helping your skin AND your emotional health. People, we need to relax! We need to relax our bodies, but we need to relax our minds as well.

Over the years, I have come to consider epsom salt baths as part of my training program. Seriously. 2X a week. Sometimes it is hard to make that time - it takes about 15-20 minutes, but my kids are old enough now to not be at the bathroom door saying "Mom, are you almost done?". It was a struggle at first to make the time to do it, but now I couldn't live without it. Try it today and let me know how it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment