Thursday, August 12, 2010

Perfect Asparagus Recipe

I finally figured out how to make a perfect asparagus dish! Took me a while...

Whenever I cooked it, it would come out overcooked, too tender, too slimy. Ick. And I tried many, many ways.

Asparagus is one of the healthiest foods you can eat. It is a natural detox for your body. Knowing this, I tried to incorporate it into my nutrition plan, at least once a week. So, here is a very simple recipe:

1/2 - 1 lb. fresh asparagus
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil

Rinse asparagus and tear off rough ends of stalks, drain. Spray cooking pan with non-stick PAM, place over medium to high heat, add coconut oil and let it dissolve. Add asparagus and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to pan, lower heat and cover. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Put on plate and serve.

You can find coconut oil at your grocery store, most likely in the health foods section. It is expensive, but I use it sparingly and so far, it has lasted quite well. Normally, I would use olive oil to saute, but coconut oil is so light and really adds a nice flavor to the asparagus. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment