Friday, August 20, 2010

My friends at the park

I love running at my park! It's such a peaceful, soothing place for me as a get my training hours in on the track. It's hard, don't get me wrong, and it's so hot! But you know what, we live in Atlanta and it's hot. Can't wait for the weather to start training right. So, I make my way to the park.

First thing I love, lights around the track, for those sleepless early mornings when I can run in the dark and feel safe. I am always the first one there. And it's quiet. My first friends are already there.

Two tiny, energetic birds who sit on top of the fence around the track. They tweet me hello and it is hilarious to watch them. They take turns following me, weaving in and out of the fence, but they ONLY do it on one side of the track. They get so far and then they go back and wait for me to come round again. I don't know why they do this, but I love it. They cheep the whole time, encouraging me, and it's so great because I know when I get to that side, my friends are waiting to cheer me on. They are so little. I call them Fric and Frac.

Then there's Bambi. Yes, that's a deer. I know, I have no other original name than Bambi. But I love her! She stays at the edge of the trees, chewing on leaves and grass, but she lifts her head up each time I run by. We watch each other and I always tip my hat to her. I know, it's silly. I love Bambi! It's so peaceful to watch animals in nature.

One by one, people start coming to the park. There are the regulars and the newbies. One by one, they start walking or running on the track. There's the overweight guy who can hardly walk, but he does. There's the athletic women with the great quads, a true runner, who does sprints down the lengths. There's the couple who talk to each other. There's the girl who talks on her cell the entire time. There's the firefighter who comes in a sweatsuit - long sleeves and long pants - and a mask over his face. There's the overweight lady walking fast.

These are my morning friends. We smile and wave at each other as we pass. I am always passing them because while everyone goes counter-clockwise around the track, I run clockwise. I know, it's wierd. It has to do with my hip and when I run counter-clockwise, it hurts my right hip. So I run the wrong way on the track. Wow, that pretty much sums up my life right there, running the wrong way on the track. Anyway, my favorite friend is a lady who carries a cane. She comes with her little dog, who diligently stays by her side as she stumbles through her laps. When she is done, she opens the back door of her car, sits down while keeping the door open, and she holds her dog in her lap and just rubs his belly. For about 30 minutes. It's so funny. He is all relaxed and limp in her arms, just enjoying life. No wonder he stays at her side so enthusiastically while she walks!

I put in my time and wait for the best part, the sunrise coming over the trees. It's beautiful. And I'm done. I stretch out and wave goodbye to whoever is still around. And I go about my day. Knowing I'll be back to see my friends at the park...

No comments:

Post a Comment